[PARPORT] Parallel scanner hardware hack ?

Gary Anderson (ganderson@clark.net)
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 08:07:19 -0500 (EST)

This may be totally out in left field, but at least one inquiring mind
wants to know.

I have the HP 5100C parallel port scanner, which uses the epst
scsi-to-parallel converter. I haven't opened the scanner up yet (haven't
figured out how to do it withouth breaking a piece of the plastic case
yet), but it seems to me if there is this scsi/parallel adapter in there
somewhere, one might be able to bypass/remove the adapter and run the
scanner in its native scsi mode (with appropriate cables, etc., of course),
then use sane to operate it.

Any thoughts ?

--
Gary Anderson