Re: [PARPORT] Buffer read/write verification

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 18:48:48 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Philip Blundell wrote:

> If you're dealing with 256k of data the overhead of set_fs() is
> negligible. I agree it's not ideal that you have to do this but the
> alternative would be to force any driver that *does* want to supply
> data from user space (eg, lp) to bounce it through a kernel buffer.

And this has to happen anyway. Phil, I thought we had this discussion?
;-)

The new port->ops functions that do block reads/writes can return
immediately, with the actual work being done later. A user-space buffer
isn't much good then.

> It might possibly be worth investigating the idea of providing "fast
> path" IEEE1284 functions for at least the common cases.

If you're talking about IEEE 1284 transfers without the fuss of
negotiation, the functions in port->ops do that. You can start talking in
ECP mode straight away.