[PARPORT] Got ZIP!

jcumming@ricochet.net
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:24:37 -0800 (PST)

Well, using Tim Waugh's and David Campbell's information I finally got to read my parallel port ZIP drive.

When I execute the mount, (mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip) I get the following:

Unable to load NLS charset cp437(nls_cp437)
UMSDOS Beta 0.6(Compatibility level 0.4, fast msdos)

So, what's this NLS stuff about?

Card note: I use three parallel ports, one on the MB, two on a card. To get the ppa to find my ZIP drive, I have to put lp=0x3bc on the Lilo command line (my default boot is Win98). 0x3bc is the MIO location of my on-board parallel port. If I give the MIO address of the port on the card I use for my other printer (0x278), then ppa can't find the ZIp drive (at 0x378).

This kinda sounds like the printer driver ties up the whole parallel card even tho it's only pointed to one port.