Re: [PARPORT] 2.0.36 printer works, but 2.2.6 no worky

Tobias Stoeber (tobi@synd.otto-computer.de)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 19:22:18 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Juha Sahakangas wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Jason C. Axley wrote:
>
> > I recently upgraded to 2.2.6 from 2.0.36 and linux can no longer see the
> > printer (well, it sort of half sees it). lpd complains that the printer
> > is not ready (offline?) and if you cat /dev/lp0, you get an I/O error
> > message. This works just fine in 2.0.36. Any idea why this isn't working
> > anymore and how I can fix it? I saw a 2.2.4 patch on the website for
> > printer latching problems, but it doesn't work against 2.2.6 so I couldn't
> > try it.
>
> I have the same problem on the computer at school, in the home, it
> works... and it's not a printcap one (i've tried both lp0 and lp1 on the
> printcap).
>
> If i echo text directly to the port, it doesn't do anything, if i try to
> print with printcap / lpr, it complains something i can't remember right
> now.

I've experienced the same problem with kernel 2.2.6. Parport and lp
support (and paride, ppa support) are compiled as modules.

I could fix the problem by adding the following lines to
/etc/conf.modules:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378,0x278 irq=7,auto

Using the command 'modprobe lp', you should get the following messages
in /var/log/messages (or use the command 'dmesg' to display it):

parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq=7 [SPP,ECP,ECPPS2]
parport0: no IEEE-284 device present.
lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

Well, it worked for me, maybe it works for you too.

Cheers, Tobias