Re: [PARPORT] Parallel TAPE

Juergen Leising (a0037@stud.uni-bayreuth.de)
Tue, 25 May 1999 15:48:21 +0200

On Mon, May 24, 1999 at 05:12:03PM +0200, Jordi Slave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Parallel Magnetic TAPE device, who can I access it? which is the
> device? or who can I make a dev to parallel tape? what's parameters I should
> pass mknod command?

Hi -

you must get to know a more specific description of your tape drive.
Not all of those parallel port drives can be accessed under linux.
You can check this out at

http://www.math1.rwth-aachen.de/~heine/ftape/development.html

In case your drive is supported:
You need a kernel patch (so called ftape, for example ftape-4.03 or
under kernel 2.2.x those unstable drivers) and for user space
ftape-utilities (for example ftmt is one of them - it can
rewind or retension your tape, go to the beginning, to the end of
the tape, go to a special file mark and so on.)

A better place for asking questions regarding your drive
is linux-tape@vger.rutgers.edu (mail to Majordomo@vger.rugers.edu with
subscribe linux-tape, if you want to subscribe).

Bye, Juergen.

Bye, Juergen.