Re: [PARPORT] BJC5000,BJC5100,linux and parallel port questions

Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 14:18:25 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Christophe Raffalli wrote:

> Then I tried to print to a file (Sortie.prn) under windows and then send
> this file to the printer under linux by a simple:
> cat Sortie.prn > /dev/lp0

You might also want to try: cat textfile > /dev/lp0

> It failed.

Does it hang, or does the printer do anything?

> base: 0x378
> irq: 7
> dma: 3
> modes: SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2

How about if you comment out any options for parport_pc that you may have
in /etc/conf.modules, and make sure that there are no kernel command line
options for parallel ports? The defaults should be no irq, no dma.

> - What means the COMMAND section in autoprobe (are these the languages
> supported by the printer) ?

They are, yes.

> - How can I choose the mode I am using among SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2 ?
> Under windows
> the printer only work in ECPEPP mode !

The 'modes:' line shows the modes that the _port_ can support; they are
not necessarily anything to do with what the printer can talk in. The
printer driver will use SPP if you have no irq and no dma (the default).