Re: [PARPORT] HELP, How do I install parport? (NEWBIE)

Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:14:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Ben Engelsma wrote:

> I realize that I can use ioperm with inb and outb from <asm/oi.h>. I
> guess the question is this: is parport that much easier to use or
> won't it buy me that much?
>
> After looking at the docs on parport, it seems like parport doesn't do
> much more (functionally) than what I can do with inb and outb.

Using /dev/parport is no easier at all unless you're going to be using
IEEE 1284 transfer modes. All it buys you otherwise is a modicum of
platform-independence (although not all that much), and the lack of need
to be root to do what you want to do (perms on /dev/parport).