RE: [PARPORT] Sharing a parallel port

Jeffrey J. Jenkins (jjenkins@dolphin.upenn.edu)
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 21:18:16 -0500 (EST)

> > I am running RH6.1 (2.2.12).
> > The printer was functioning before installing the sg, ppscsi, and onspec
> > modules as the (limited) instructions seemed to indicate I was supposed to
> > do. (What does sg do?)
>
> It's for generic scsi support, you need it if a scsi-device is used, e.g.
> scanner, cdrom.

Ah. So it is needed with ppscsi for generic support? I am running a
BusLogic SCSI controller with a CDROM, CDRW, and SyJet. (I picked up the
parallel port scanner cheap and don't use it enough to justify actually
getting a SCSI scanner.)

I actually got the scanner to work by simply insmod-ing, sg, ppscsi, and
onspec modules manually without removing any printer mods.

My original module list looks like: (printer functional)

/sbin/lsmod
Module Size Used by
sound 58424 0 (autoclean) (unused)
soundcore 2404 3 (autoclean) [sound]
soundlow 300 0 (autoclean) [sound]
tulip 24740 1 (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1 2020 3 (autoclean)
nls_cp437 3548 3 (autoclean)
vfat 9084 3 (autoclean)
fat 30208 3 (autoclean) [vfat]
BusLogic 87620 1

After loading the other modules: (scanner functional, lp locked)

/sbin/lsmod
Module Size Used by
parport_probe 2980 0 (autoclean) (unused)
lp 5052 0 (autoclean) (unused)
parport 7060 0 (autoclean) [parport_probe lp]
onscsi 14348 0 (unused)
ppscsi 10128 1 [onscsi]
sound 58424 0 (autoclean) (unused)
soundcore 2404 3 (autoclean) [sound]
soundlow 300 0 (autoclean) [sound]
tulip 24740 1 (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1 2020 3 (autoclean)
nls_cp437 3548 3 (autoclean)
vfat 9084 3 (autoclean)
fat 30208 3 (autoclean) [vfat]
BusLogic 87620 1

I thought that I loaded sg myself last time, but this time, I needed to
rmmod it before the scanner worked. It seems to autoload, so the problem
was probably that I loaded it manually.

/sbin/lsmod
Module Size Used by
sg 14924 0 (autoclean)
parport_probe 2980 0 (autoclean) (unused)
lp 5052 0 (autoclean) (unused)
parport 7060 0 (autoclean) [parport_probe lp]
onscsi 14348 0
ppscsi 10128 1 [onscsi]
sound 58424 0 (autoclean) (unused)
soundcore 2404 3 (autoclean) [sound]
soundlow 300 0 (autoclean) [sound]
tulip 24740 1 (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1 2020 3 (autoclean)
nls_cp437 3548 3 (autoclean)
vfat 9084 3 (autoclean)
fat 30208 3 (autoclean) [vfat]

I can still mount and unmount the BusLogic devices and the BusLogic mod
goes into the list when I do so. Oh well, as long as they work. ;)

> The things I do are these;
> - I turn off my scanner before booting, so no power.
> - I turn on my printer before booting.

Both are on at boot for me.

> I'm using SuSE LiNUX 6.1, and the file /etc/rc.d/boot.local is the file for
> adding this command, I don't know about Redhat.

The file is in the same place with RH.

> I do not know what makes my printer work again, maybe it's just one of the
> three things, I should test it.
>
> I'm using:
> kernel 2.2.7
> ppscsi and onscsi modules
> Microtek Pagewiz scanner using the OnSpec 90c26 chip
> sane 1.0.1
> Microtek(1) backend version 0.10
> Printer HP Deskjet 420
> apsfilter (filter cdjcolor)

I'm using:
kernel 2.2.12
ppscsi and onscsi modules (2.2.13-ppSCSI-19990712)
Microtek V310 using the OnSpec 90c26 chip
sane 1.0.1 (from rpm)
Microtek2 backend ver 0.6
HP Laserjet 5P printer

Issuing rmmod to onscsi, ppscsi, and sg doesn't restore the printer.

I've not had the trouble that Marcel Pol reported in not being able to
load the modules at the same time. I've not tried using modprobe
(suggested by Michael Eyrich), yet. I may get a chance to try doing so
next week. I'll let everyone know the results. I have not changed the
default Linux /etc/conf.modules beyond adding "alias parport_lowlevel
parport_pc" in order to get the printer to work shortly after my upgrade.

Jason, I'm also running the 2.2.12-20 kernel. As I said above, I've
gotten ppscsi and onscsi to work by using the 2.2.13-ppSCSI-19990712
patch.

Jeff.