Re: [PARPORT] Support for HP Travan drives?

From: J. Scott Berg (jsberg@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 17:08:53 EDT

    On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Jonathan M Hill wrote:

    > Anyways, I saw in the FAQ that the external HP-Colorado 5 Gbyte
    > Travan tape drive is supported by the current Linux drivers. In looking
    > about the HP website I noticed that there are also 8 Gbyte, 14 Gbyte,
    > and 20 Gbyte versions. Does anyone have experience with these larger
    > drives and know if they work with Linux?

    I have the 8 GB (TR-4) drive. Works fine, but dog slow. If I had
    money to burn I would consider getting an external SCSI tape (Tecmar
    NS-8/20, for instance) and an Adaptec SlimSCSI PCMCIA card. Will cost
    you quite a bit more ($300 more or so!) but your backups are a LOT
    faster.

    --
    J. Scott Berg                           jsberg@earthlink.net
    75 ROCKY POINT YAPHANK RD APT 122       (516) 209-0693