Re: [PARPORT] base address?

From: twaugh@redhat.com
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 04:37:28 EDT

    On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 08:57:39AM +0800, zhu qun ying wrote:

    > I understand most of the parts, but only stuck at base address. I
    > don't know what to choose. I am currently using 0x378, but somehow
    > it corrupted my boot loader at that address. leave my board
    > unbootable. As in Strong ARM, there is no parallel port at all, I am
    > using its general purpose IO pins to simulate the behavior. And
    > Accessing those PINs are through registers, I am not sure what are
    > the requirement for the base address. It seems I cannot choose
    > randomly.

    You ought to be able to; what parallel port device drivers are you
    using along with parport_arm? Perhaps one of them is trying to do
    special things that it shouldn't do with port->base. From their point
    of view it's only supposed to be there for informational purposes, and
    it's not for them to actually use (since they don't know how to).

    This sounds like a bug elsewhere in the kernel. :-(