Re: [PARPORT] Re: signal 7 on installing RH 6.1

From: Bostjan Muller (neonatus@neonatus.net)
Date: Sat Sep 09 2000 - 07:50:47 EDT

    * On 09-09-00 at 13:42 Adrian Phillips (adrianp@powertech.no) wrote:
    +----Here quoted text begins----+
    > Greg> could run just fine on a 486. And most 486s have little RAM
    > Greg> (4-32). What about a swap file? Shouldn't it let you install
    > Greg> anyway? This is Linux!
    >
    > Linux can run with very little memory, but whether the install can be
    > done with so little is a different question. I have installed Debian
    > 2.2 (Potato) on a 8MB 486 so weeks ago, slow but possible; the problem
    > is that the package manager for Debian (dpkg) works well but is
    > beginning to have problems with the thousands of packages that a
    > Debian distribution has.
    >
    > Greg> BTW, I had this problem on my friend's 8MB RAM 486, although
    > Greg> I wasn't sure of the problem at the time.
    >
    > Anyway, I'd try to find different boot disks from the net to see if
    > they help.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Adrian Phillips

    +----and here the quote ends----+
    I have installed suse linux 6.2 on a i486/40 with 4MB of ram... The problem
    isn't running linux itself it is the installation program and boot/root
    floppies that often require more than 4mb of ram...

    So all I did was boot a home made boot disk, than mount the nfs directory...
    create partitions, ext2 and swap, mount swap and did rpm -Uvh --nodeps
    /cdrom/suse/a1/*.rpm --root=/mnt/hda1
    (I mounted the disk under /mnt/hda1... than I booted from the floppy and
    mounted /mnt/hda1 as root system...

    Then even the setup program (yast) ran perfectly...

    Bostjan

    --
       Bo¹tjan Müller [NEONATUS], neonatus@neonatus.net, http://surf.to/NEONATUS
    For my PGP key finger: neonatus@neonatus.net, RSA id: 0x90178DBD, ICQ #:7506644