Re: [PARPORT] no more nibble data

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 11:35:29 EST

    On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 01:07:55PM -0600, ebi1 wrote:

    > Dec 23 18:18:55 ozob kernel: parport0: No more nibble data (0 bytes)

    This message means what it says. ;-) For some reason, we're trying to
    read some data from the printer in nibble mode, but there isn't any
    there for us to read. It logs a message partly because there's still
    some debugging messages there, and partly because it's generaly an
    unexpected event; if we're trying to read data, we expect there to be
    some to read.

    > The contents of /procsys/dev/parport/parport0/modes is:
    >
    > PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP

    Okay, so you're using a 2.4 test kernel.</detectivework>

    How are you printing? Is there anything in your printing process
    which is trying to read /dev/lp0 repeatedly?

    I have no idea why it locks the printer up though.. :-(

    An easy work-around would be to disable CONFIG_PARPORT_1284, but
    that's not a Real Solution.