Re: [PARPORT] Example Code

From: Andrew Hogue (hogue@cs.yorku.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 16:25:40 EST

    Hi again,

    I was following the example of using ppdev in order to access the parallel
    port device file, i.e.
      int fd;
      fd = open("/dev/parport0",O_RDWR);

    but fd is returned as -1 and when I check the errno, it says ENODEV. In
    the man pages, it says the following:

                  "pathname refers to a device special file and no
                  corresponding device exists. (This is a Linux ker-
                  nel bug - in this situation ENXIO must be
                  returned.) "

    Why would this be the case? Is there something that needs to be done
    before trying to open the /dev/parport0 in order to let my program access
    this file?

    Also I would really like to use the outb() and inb() functions since I
    need to set certain pins according to the protocol of my device, is there
    a way to do this with the ppdev interface?

    Thanks,

    --
    Andrew Hogue
    York University