[PARPORT] Auto Feed Line

From: Jim Redman (jim@ergotech.com)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 12:51:38 EDT

    My apologies if this has been discussed before, without a search it's hard
    to know.

    I have a device that uses the Auto Feed line as a handshake
    (https://store.ibutton.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2433&prmenbr=776)

    I know almost nothing about parallel ports, but from the specs for the
    device it seems as though you need to:

    1) set AutoFeed low
    2) write the data
    3) wait for the busy line to go high
    4) read the value
    5) reset AutoFeed

    I assume that this would be a fairly easy user level driver (performance is
    not really an issue), but before I do that I would like to know if any of
    the standard modes do anything similar to this. I wouldn't bother to ask,
    except that it looks as though the

    parport_ieee1284_nibble_mode_ok

    function might correctly read a byte from this device. However, that's not
    very useful and I can't find anything else that is.

    If anyone can suggest a way to do this without writing the driver I would
    be glad to be enlightened. My interest in not writing a driver (beyond the
    obvious) is because I would like to use the Java CommAPI to access the
    device if possible.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Redman