Re: [PARPORT] custom cabling

From: Blaise Gassend (blaise@gassend.com)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 19:11:00 EDT

    > **Proposed Custom Cable Map**
    > D7 - ~S7 , (09-11) , [data7-busy]
    > D6 - S6 , (08-10) , [data6-nAck]
    > D5 - S5 , (07-12) , [data5-paper]
    > D4 - S4 , (06-13) , [data4-select]
    > D3 - S3 , (05-15) , [data3-error]
    > D2 - ~C3 , (04-17) , [data2-nSelPrntr]
    > D1 - C2 , (03-16) , [data1-nInit]
    > D0 - ~C1 , (02-14) , [data0-nAutoLF]
    > ~C0 - ~C0 , (01-01) , [nStrobe-nStrobe]

    It seems to me like you are disregarding the fact that some pins are
    inputs and others are outputs. For example, connecting nStrobe to
    nStrobe won't work because they are both of the same type.

    I think there are some common designs for 8 bit parallel cables. They
    connect the data lines to the data lines (on recent parallel ports the
    data lines are usually bidirectional) and use the unidirectional signals
    for handshaking. I don't have a link to a precise description of one of
    these cables, but I expect that a little googling should help. I also
    expect that the software for these cables is already available.

    Blaise