Re: [PARPORT] custom cabling

From: Blaise Gassend (blaise@gassend.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 14:17:04 EDT

    Hi Nate,

    It does look like nStrobe can be used both for input and output.
    However, using it for both at the same time is not trivial, and it seems
    to me that that is what you wanted to do in your protocol.

    I googled around a bit and was surprised to find how little data there
    was on 8-bit parallel cables. I did find one page that describes one,
    but with no mention of software to go with it.
    http://www.teletechnics.co.nz/reference/cable/cable_data.html

    I haven't looked at this cable too closely, so I don't know if it
    verifies what I am about to say. If you connect data pins to data pins,
    and strobe to ack, then I think you should be able to get your parallel
    port to do buffered data transfer. If you do some ad-hoc wiring, you
    will be able to transfer data, but you will have to generate all the
    handshaking signals yourself, which will cost you a lot of time donig
    ins and outs.

    So my advice would be: Have a close look at how standard ECP/EPP transfers,
    and wire your cable so that you can benefit from the automatic
    handshaking functionality that your parallel port has built in. It will
    make your transfers go much faster, and it will save you work.

    Tell me what you think.

    Blaise

    Quoted from Nate Jenkins on Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 09:59:23AM -0700.