Re: [PARPORT] simple (dumb?) ppdev question

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 12:26:39 EDT

    On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 05:44:40PM +0200, Peter Asemann wrote:

    > Is it possible that if the device doesn't react on the ioctl, this
    > input/output error is returned? I thought that in case the
    > negotiation failed it'd return 0, but overwrite the value in ioret
    > with the mode actually "negotiated", in this case compatibility mode
    > (following my personal logic).

    -EIO means 'negotiation failed'. Negotiation doesn't work like you
    seem to think it does: if the negotiation for the mode you wanted
    failed, it failed -- there is no 'well let's try something else
    instead' behind the scenes. You remain in compatibility mode (note,
    you must be in compatibility mode in this case, since you can only
    negotiate from that 'mode' [really the absence of any negotiated
    mode]).

    > Well, maybe it's just that I didn't read the right ressources on the
    > net; I'd appreciate any suggestions regarding this.

    If you use libieee1284 you'll get documented error codes. :-)