Re: [PARPORT] simple (dumb?) ppdev question

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 09:21:20 EDT

    On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 02:58:09PM +0200, Peter Asemann wrote:

    > I had to go to sourceforge to actually find out the license of libieee1284;
    > you don't drop any word about it on 'your' site.

    Updated.

    > Whatever, I have some (at least for today...) final questions: If
    > the machine my program runs on only has an EPP port (no ECR or
    > something), will it be possible to open it with CAP1284_EPP? Is it
    > possible to have libieee1284 "probe" the port for what capabilities
    > it supplies? For some reason I need to know.

    Not sure what you mean by 'open it with CAP1284_EPP' -- the
    'capabilities' parameter is populated by the library, not the caller.
    The caller just has to provide the storage for the flags. Now that I
    re-read that segment of the documentation I can see that it isn't
    really clear that's the case, but it is.

    > And, what does "there is a software/hardware implementation of XXX for
    > this mode" - are there scenarios in which it's crucial to have the one and
    > not the other implementation?

    If you want the maximum transfer speed possible, and you know your
    device supports several modes, it might be useful to know which of
    those has hardware support at the host.