Re: [PARPORT] kernel patch - new ioctl

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 04:22:17 EDT

    On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:46:29PM +0200, Markus Heinz wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:05:49 +0100
    > Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 12:15:16PM +0200, Markus Heinz wrote:
    > >
    > > > [new ioctl for reading device id]
    > >
    > > This is doable from user-space - indeed, libieee1284's test program
    > > does so.
    >
    > Reading the device id with libieee1284 takes 4 seconds on my computer
    > whereas my ioctls return immediately. Is there a possibility of speeding
    > up libieee1284?

    If your ioctls return immediately, it's hard to believe there's any
    data transfer occurring. :-)

    Did you give yourself permission to open /dev/parport* for reading?
    Perhaps the slow direct I/O method was in use, rather than using the
    kernel functions.

    The libieee1284 library uses ppdev for its data transfers when it
    can. If the kernel ppdev module is slower than your special ioctl,
    something's up.

    You can run the test program with the environment variable
    LIBIEEE1284_DEBUG set to find out what access method is in use.